Saturday, September 10, 2011

Best Update

Just had a good long talk with an oncologist from Froedtert. The results from the VATS procedure are almost all back and this is what they have so far. They tested my lung biopsy for EVERYTHING. He listed off probably 20 different infections that I do not have for sure, many of those were fungal and bacterial. The virals take longer to come back, but there is nothing showing on any of them. I do have intersticialnumenitis, which is a long word for inflammation in my lungs. There still is a very small amount of bleeding in my lungs, but, there is no clear reason, and it should be getting better. I feel like it is getting better based in my continued improvements in walking and talking (yes, at the same time) and the sparameter. The plan is, if my CT scan is the same as it was prior to the VATS procedure or better, they will have another meeting and decide whether to go forward with transplant. It sounds like it is pretty good that that will happen, but I am not going to make any for sure statements after this last 'date" that was set. It feels like everything is coming together in a good way. My feelings are, the cancer is more than likely going to come back if I do not get a transplant. My lungs are prohibiting that transplant, but in the end, the cancer is going to be my downfall. Saying that, the window is closing for getting my lungs as healthy as they can and still being disease free so that I make it through the transplant. The reason for my latest round of chemotherapy (which ends today) is to make sure that the leukemia is kept under control. It is vital that I go to transplant with as little disease possible in my system. I am excited for the next few weeks and think things will go well.

So, here I sit finishing my final bag of cytarabine, watching the Badgers absolutely punish the Oregon St. Beavers, Packers sitting at 1-0 after a great opening National Football League game on Thursday night in Green Bay and the Brewers still hanging on to second place in the National League, and first in the NL Central. Feels good to listen to all my friends with other interests whine about the Packers. Adeline has begun walking all over the place, Molly got her hair did, things are going well. Thanks again to my buddy Jordan for the phone call today. Good luck to my great friend Thane who gets married today, I wish I could be there in person, but I will be there in spirit. (Too bad my spirit can't drink :) Thank you also goes out to everyone for all of the prayers, thoughts, and well wishes. I know it has gotten me this far.

Love~ T

5 comments:

  1. Keep fighting Tony.....Tony Plush/Gumbel/Hush... has nothing over our Tony! We all know that you will win!

    Jill Mc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your strength during this time is bolstered by Molly, Adeline, and all of us praying for a better tomorrow. Keep up the fight! KL

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there coach navarre! The highlanders love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news and updates Tony, thanks! Transplant is right around the corner. Really missing you on and off the pitch in Cedarburg although you did have tendency to show up a little wobbly after Packers games! Hilarious. We're all rooting for you buddy.

    ReplyDelete