Thursday, March 22, 2012

Some Great Strides!

Well, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, for me to get sick, get a fever, a cold...something. Not going to happen. I have felt great. Each week I gain a little more freedom. I was told that I could go without the mask unless I am in a crowd. I can go to girls soccer try-outs, see friends and family, and even PLAY...yes PLAY in an indoor soccer game. Soooooo, first things first.... Monday and Tuesday I was able to go to girls soccer try outs. SO awesome. I am still very "photosensitive" and have to be careful how long I am outside. But holy moley!! I am OUTSIDE!!! It was great to see the girls and regain another part of my life before cancer. Tuesday night, I went to indoor soccer. I was able to work it out with a friend from summer soccer, Ted, and wow. I was a little clumsy, slow, and tired, but I made it through the entire game (picking up an assist on the first goal). Now today, I am so sore, but finally its my muscles sore from working and not from laying down, or being in the hospital or a lumbar puncture or biopsy! This is the best "sore" I have felt in a long time. I will never again complain with muscle aches and joint pain...it is so incredible to be able to have those feelings at all. Not that I love the pain or anything, but because it was athletic induced pain, it is certainly more gratifying. Wednesday, I had my doctors appointment. I was told that as long as I am careful, I can go mask free. Although, any sick people or crowds, and I have to re-wear. The most important thing I can do now, is wash and anti-bacterialize my hands whenever there is contact with: dirt, dogs, people, etc. Being the loser that I am, I walk around with a full bottle of antibaterial stuff, and with the sun, I am all bundled up in the nice Wisconsin Spring. There are worse things to have to do! The doctor also told me, that barring any major concerns, she sees no problem with me returning to Homestead in August. Can the news get any freakin' better?

Thanks to everyone I can say that it feels like things are falling into place. Life is returning to normal. I still have to be cautious and careful about the above mentioned items. My lifestyle will always be different, more careful. Even though life threw a major curve-gyro-dodge-ball, it may not have been a homer or a triple, but as a family we certainly landed on second base...with no outs and a good hitter on deck. I know I have grown as a person, and I hope for more positive outcomes in the future. Molly and I will definitely try to pay it forward. We think we have a good cause, being able to donate cord blood for free in Wisconsin...currently not available. Telling the story, if anyone else is suffering from this. Mostly, being better people all the time.

Hope this finds everyone healthy and happy! Especially, new to the world, Finley Brett H. Congrats Robin and Neil on the birth of your first son! TO NEW BEGINNINGS!!

Tony

1 comment:

  1. Awesome news Tony! So glad to hear you're doing great.

    ReplyDelete