Sunday, August 28, 2011

In da Club ... & by club I mean hospital

Hanging out in the hospital after my VATS PROCEDURE. It supposedly went well, but this chest tube and the surgery has been a very sore experience. The incision is just under my armpit, so the muscles there are very tender whenever I try to move my right arm. That incision is just above the chest tube, so that makes it sore as well. I also ended up with a minor fever, but I got through that ok this morning. They did have to do blood cultures (that means that even though I have a pick line, they have to stick me). The pick line is shown in the picture, they draw blood from there and also can administer lots o' drugs and fluids and stuff. Just have to be very careful they say clean, they can be a source of bacteria and infection. Molly and I have a funny nickname for them, but if you want to know, you'll have to throw out some guesses on Facebook or something. I'm not telling. I do have to say it again, the food here is pretty darn good, I had a decent baked potato for lunch today and am thinking about the steak for dinner.

Brew won again tonight, keeps them 10 1/2 games up on Cards assuming they win (up 5-4). Already stated in last post, but I am really looking forward to football season and fantasy football to really get going. I have gotten some reading done while in the hospital, I am 560 pages into 'Storm of Swords' which is the Third book in the Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones) series. It was made into a show on HBO, and I can't wait for that to come out on DVD. I also tucked a Stephanie Meyer (The Host) in, thanks to L. MAZ, and I have a couple of James Patterson's thanks to N. HUNDT and D. NAVS.

Molly starts work tomorrow, I am really going to miss Homestead High School this year. From the students and great staff, to the coaching and excitement of a new school day each day. I remember thinking while I was at school, just before I was diagnosed, so I was feeling ill, how sometimes school was so tough. A student may have a bad day, Scott Walker may have done stupid things, I may have a disagreement with a peer, or just not feel well...but looking at it now, it is one of those things that really makes you think. Going to work each day, to a job I love and staff who are a joy, mostly :), to be around, something new everyday for better or worse. I am blessed and I can't wait to get back to it.

Oh well, enough rambling. Have a great night, Go Brew, Go PACK, Go HHS Boys Soccer, GO back to school teachers and know how awesome you all are~

3 comments:

  1. Tony-
    We will all miss you tomorrow and the kids will miss you on Thursday-you are in all of our thoughts and we can't wait for the day that you will be back in full force at Homestead! We will take good care of Molly! Thanks for the great words and thoughts that puts everything in perspective-you and Molly continue to be such an inspiration to me and you are thought of so often. Keep fighting and stay strong! Miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait until you can come back to school, also. We're super happy to have Molly back, but the pair of you will be much better. Hope you are feeling better from the surgery soon and the cultures come back clear. KL

    ReplyDelete
  3. No shout out for making you read Game of Thrones? Now you've woken the sleeping giant. I'm going to be a real pain in your arce in this fantasy football league you got me into. HATING IS BAD.

    ReplyDelete