Wednesday, January 11, 2012

An Awesome Day! 2 Big Steps in Getting Back to Normal

Well, it has been a pretty darn good day. Got up early this morning (Early for me 7:00ish) and got a good breakfast in me. Oatmeal, a banana, and orange juice for all those wondering, and headed to Ozaukee Ice Center. I had talked to my transplant doctor about getting on the ice and she said all was good as long as I stayed clear of all the locker room areas and the rink wasn't busy....from the picture, you may be able to tell how busy the rink was. So grateful to my friend Chris at OIC for helping me get back out there. I remember thinking in the hospital, after the doctors told me I may not be able to walk for as long as a year if ever due to the length of the paralysis, what does that mean for skating....will I ever get to skate again? No soccer? Jeez, for a while there, I was like...no stairs? Today, I was skating, mind you, I almost fell out of the players box, and nearly hit the ice a couple of other times after experimenting with some quick stops...but I maintained my balance and never fell. Thank you Homestead Blueline for keeping me warm, the jacket is incredible. My muscles and feet are sore, my hands were not the silky smooth dangle masters that they usually are, but I was skating, shooting, and passing the puck around. Felt a little more like my old self. After getting back from the rink, I cleaned up and watched Kung Fu Panda 2. Pretty decent if you haven't seen it. Kind of a tear jerker for a little while. I know, I am such a cry baby, take it easy Thane. After the movie, I waited for Molly to get home and then we went out to dinner! Granted, we did a hand off in the parking lot with Adeline going to Grammy and Tony going with Molly, but we made it to Devon Seafood Grill just before 4:00. I wore my mask into the restaurant, and until we got food, but then was able to enjoy a nice dinner for Molly's birthday. She had a great coupon. The server asked if I had food allergies and we explained the whole 'mask thing' to him. They were AWESOME...server let me know if any sauces had uncooked ingredients in them, I knew from all the hospital folk what foods I was not allowed to eat and the meal was awesome. Great for my first meal out since March 5th 2010, and Molly's birthday. Then when we were finished, the server let us know that they gave us the appetizer on the house because we chose them for my first meal back. What a nice gesture....very cool. I wasn't actually sad, like in the picture, but I am pretty sure that alcohol and 15 medications is a bad idea. In fact, I know it is...it was a celebration with water. And also, stop staring at my beautiful dome and keep reading. Did you just look back up at the baldness? I bet you did. Then we headed back to the 'hometel' for the remainder of the night. Adeline is looking fantastic in her pink Harry Potter glasses. She doesn't seem bothered by them too much, although it is certainly an adjustment. So, all in all, a pretty darn good day. I am going to try to keep up my exercise everyday. I have my next appointment on Friday, and I will meet with my transplant doc to see how my blood work is, and find out any new information.

Hope this finds everyone healthy and happy,
Tony

8 comments:

  1. hey Tony! Love the water/wine glass...just had my first drink since before I got sick on Saturday...drinking is overrated compared to getting our health back, right?!?!?! :) Great job skating...you are FAR more active than me now! I have been hitting the gym every day this week and am SHOCKED by how much upper body strength i've lost...but it will come back!!! Keep up the great recovery...glad to hear things are going well!!! you should also post a pic of Adeline with her cool new glasses!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health is certainly higher on the totem pole above drinking. I do enjoy the occasional beverage, but compared to living??? Don't think so.

      Also, I am pretty much a weakling, and have been working out as much as I can. Still a long way to go, but now I have the time.

      Adeline pics coming soon :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to see you doing so well! You are such an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Navarre! I am soo happy for you! I know hockey means the world to you and seeing that picture of you on the ice, stick in hand, made me smile a mile wide! Congratulations on getting back out there. It was also great to read that you got to go out to dinner with your family to celebration Mrs. Navarre's birthday. How nice! I surely miss seeing you around the OIC everyday after school, but it is great to read that things are getting much better with you and your health. I pray for continued success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to see you back on the ice! It must have been wonderful to be able to do those "ordinary" things like skate and have dinner out. You're amazing! Keep up the good work. Happy Birthday, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pictures are worth a thousand words!!!! This is the best news yet, Tony!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A shot and a goal! Good to read that you avoided the penalty box on your first shift back on the ice! You two are amazing. Go Pack Go!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you all, I'll also forward the birthday wishes to Molly.

      Delete