Friday, December 23, 2011

1st Morning Post


I am pretty sure this is the first post that I have written in the wee morning hours. Does anyone honestly use that word? Wee? That may have to be the word of the day Ruff! Wow, guess I am still tried.

I had a doctors appointment yesterday and things seem to continue on the "good" path. I had a blood draw early and then waited for a bit to talk to my transplant doc. At this point, my biggest issues are keeping the vitamins and minerals in my body. Many of the drugs I take use or flush a lot of potassium and magnesium out of my system, so it is very important that I get those along with some others. However (and when isn't there a however?), taking many of those supplements can have an impact on my stomach, liver, kidneys, etc. Right now, the main idea seems to be balance. Taking some medications to balance out the effects on the others, an so on.

KNOCK ON WOOD KNOCK ON WOOD...I am feeling as good as can be expected. Some headaches and some congestion, but I feel pretty darn good otherwise. I am extremely out of shape as well. My sister and I carried in bags and groceries the other day and the two trips and the stairs were about as much as I could handle. I know wearing the mask doesn't hep the oxygen intake, but the mask and staying healthy is far more important than risking anything at this point. So, I had to rest for a bit afterward and catch my breath...was it running away? HAHAHA stupid.

As far as the transplant goes, it is all about be careful and making sure to do the right things the next 2-4 months. I have to continue to wear a mask whenever I go out, or whenever I see someone. I believe that I have heard, "wash your hands" about a million times. It is the easiest way to prevent infections, so we have hand sanitizer and soap all over the place...but again, does it really matter? I mean, honestly, is not washing your hands worth your life? I THINK NOT! We seem to be mostly settled into the 'hometel' and Adeline is getting used to the idea.

I think that the Port Washington Navarre's are also ready for Christmas. A few days off to celebrate the good things that happened this year. Now, we all know the joke about 2011. But in reality, some things are positive about this year. A small reflection about this year.

Not many people have a life changing event that gives them the opportunity to understand the value of life better. Through-out this event, I have had the opportunity to see what people are truly made of. The chance to reconnect with old friends, or see the value in the friends that you have. I got the chance to see the generosity that people have. When does one get the chance to know if choices they made early in life were truly the right choices? You can look back say that you do or do not have regrets about decisions, but to have that validated rarely happens. To be able to change your life for the better because of an event...in other words, to look at the past and know what you want to do better moving forward.

I love my life! My family (ALL OVER and ALL AROUND) is incredible. My decision to move to the Milwaukee area and teach at Homestead was absolutely the best choice I have ever made (not that it was ever a question after I met Molly). I know, without a doubt, that I have the best and truest friends a person could hope for. When I make a New Years resolution, it will mean something. I will live a more generous life. That the doctors, nurses, and therapists I have met, need to know, they saved my life and I am eternally grateful to them, they should know that they are all in my prayers. That the saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff" needs to be more prevalent in my future life. Forgive and forget...it is not worth holding a grudge or burning bridges...let those things go even if others won't.

I know it may get redundant to hear...or rather to read, but I am so grateful to everyone that has supported our family in one way or another this past year. We made it to this point because of you all, I will celebrate Christmas with my family this year because of you. Hopefully, all the kindness you have shown us this year will be repaid to you in some way or another. Have a great Christmas....or if you are not a Christmas person, Holiday!

We love you all,
Tony, Mols, Adie

7 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays to you and your family!
    BEST WISHES AND GREAT HEALTH IN 2012
    Ernesto Brauer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas to you, Tony!!! I will look forward to seeing you in person in 2012!!!! Enjoy the holidays with your wonderful family!!! Sending love and hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love following your blog Tony. It was great meeting Molly and Adie this summer when out training for my marathon in Port. Look forward to officially meeting you when you get back behind the bench with Chris at Homestead

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas and God bless you and your family Tony. I continue to follow your blog on the caring bridge and continue to pray for your entire family. You are an inspiration and I hope for a full recovery. Mr. Adler

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to you, Molly, Adeline and the rest of your family. Here's to a healthy and happy 2012!

    Eric Siegal

    ReplyDelete