Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Counts Dropping

Day +4 saw a very large drop in blood counts and I am now considered neutropenic. This is how it should be. I am at my highest risk for infections now until my counts begin to recover, and this time, when my counts recover, they will recover with healthy bone marrow cells from the transplant. With any luck, Leukemia will be a thing of the past for Mr. Tony Navarre. WOW! I have noticed a significant increase in my exhaustion, and naps during the day do not do to much to still feeling tired by bedtime. My stomach is still sore and bloated from the amount of steroids they had to give me. Another unfortunate problem has been my knee. After I woke from the coma in April, I had a large calcification on my left knee. I was unable to move the knee at all, and through some hard work from my physical therapist, Lisa and Laurie, I gradually got the majority of movement back. However, since I have been in the hospital for transplant, the knee has reared its ugly head. It has been incredibly painful and to make matters worse, walking is essentially the best thing I can be doing at the moment. Kind of a rock and a hard place situation. Need to be walking, very painful to walk...oh well, I guess I'll have to Favre it out and make it through the next few weeks. Pain killers anyone? The nice little side effect of the pain killers is that it has helped to calm the stomach issues a bit. The GI tract suffers A LOT because of the rapid turnover of cells from cancer and the pain killers has helped to ease some of that pain...everyone is thrilled about this blog, I can tell. Regardless of all that, things are supposed to get worse for about a week, and then begin to return and feel better. So this may only be the beginning. However, compared to some of the other in the BMT Unit, I have been very lucky. The attitude that I have taken is this...basically, nothing can be as bad as the first 2 months of this disease. The aches and pains are nothing compared to not moving, not talking, not breathing and the 12 or so chest tubes. Keep a positive outlook and push through the hard part and there you have it. I have been able to keep busy by reading and my appetite has held well enough although I am down 5 pounds since Wednesday. That isn't too big of a deal as long as I can get the calories that I need to make sure I can heal. Thank you everyone and I'll keep you posted on how things progress...you are all fantastic. I appreciate all the texts, emails, and notes....brightens up my day!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the daily updates...I look forward to them. Start thinking about what you want to eat at your Homecoming Party...I'm thinking mini comfort foods: mini pot pies, sliders, mini loaded baked potatoes. Let me know your favorite foods so I can start practicing mini versions! Stay strong....JYLL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tony, Think about you and your recovery every day. Get well soon. How much longer until you start rooting for the Wild?:)

    JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew even during the roughest moments, you would see the bright side of it and that is why you are so inspirational to all of us. Keep your chin up, your knee working hard, and your body healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. buddy, im not always the cheerleading type but you got this one for sure. push it. keep the updates coming, love seeing how you are doing. knee will rebound you got a few soccer games left in you. take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. Tony. Our prayers are with you as you get over the "hump" days of recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony, thinking of you. You are amazing in your ability to keep moving forward. Praying for you and sending you healing energy. I'm so glad that Adeline is doing better. And that you have Molly and your family and friends to support you!
    Delia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony, first of all thank you so much for the updates. Knowing the day to day challenges and successes helps our family to cheer you on, and target our prayers (yeah, I know God doesn't need me telling him what to do but hey, a subtle suggestion here and there can't hurt). Your positive attitude, honesty and acceptance are inspirational. I know that everyone deals with adversity in their own way but having followed several friends over the past two years through their journeys, I have to say that there seems to be a direct correlation between outlook and outcome. A friend who is a few months ahead of you in her transplant journey is doing really, really well. And, like you, her updates were factual but filled with the positives, a sprinkling of humor and a humble gratitude for all that was still good in her world.

    I can't begin to know what you and others are going through so far be it for me to judge. I just wanted you to know how much we care, admire you and believe in your recovery.

    The Schiman Family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tony,
    Fingers are crossed that the transplant is successful and that you can put leukemia behind you. We're wishing you, Molly and Adeline the best!
    Linda & Spencer Brunner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tony, You are an inspiration to us all! This holiday season reminds us of the good in life and the wonders of God. You embody the positive and remind the rest of us who are simply going along in our daily(easy) lives that we should thank God for our families,friends,good fortune and health. Thanks for inspiring us! We continue to keep you and your family in our prayers and look forward to your Homecoming. We are all on the sideline cheering for you!!! Keep walking and keep fighting.
    The Murray's

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tony,

    Thinking and praying for you and your family. You are one tough S.O.B. and I know you'll pull through. Keep fightin' and go Pack!

    Trevor

    ReplyDelete