Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bust Out This Cracker Jack Box!!

So here is the great scoop...it sounds like I get out of the hospital tomorrow. Now, it is not a for sure thing, but its at about 90% right now. That means I head to a 'hometel' starting tomorrow.
Thoughts about this hospital stay, not the top ten list, but just a list of things that come to mind about being in the hospital for 22 days.

-How much I miss Adeline. It has been really hard not to physically see her. Skype is nice, but it can not give you a daddy hug.

-Any one of my great friends who have called, skyped, texted me during my stay. For some, it has been awesome getting to talk to you, for others, it has been nice to get back in touch.

-The BMT Unit is shaped like an oval, an they marked off how many laps is equivalent to a mile. That is 23 laps. I have completed, as of right now, 636 laps. That is 27.65 miles. I know in reality, it is not much to walk a mile a day, but from where I came from, it is awesome...SO LAY OFF!! You all know I hate running, let alone running in a circle, and worst of all walking in a circle, most of the time with an IV pole.

-Got through two books and started a third. Its always nice to catch up on the reading, isn't that what someone always says at the new year...catch up on reading? (I guess who really says that?)

-It is been hard to hear hockey news...but good. I try to get as much news from players, coaches, family members on all the relevant teams in my life. (Homestead Highlanders, Memorial Old Abes, Wisconsin Badgers, Youngstown Phantoms, Pittsburgh Penguins) As I write this, I am listening to the Old Abe game on the radio, thinking about HHS playing against and hopefully taking it to Fondy Springs. I am also the envy of the BMT wing thanks to the Wisconsin Badger signed hockey stick given to me for my birthday by my cousin Jefferson.

-I celebrated my 30th birthday in the hospital. It sounds sad, but it wasn't because I finally got the needed bone marrow transplant, and because of that, I will hopefully get to celebrate many many more birthdays. SO....this was the BEST birthday ever!

-Molly wearing out I-43. Between Green Bay, Mequon, Port Washington, and Froedtert...wow I don't know how many times I have said it, but she is incredible.

-I don't know that I have ever been a facebook detractor, but prior to all of this nonsense, I wasn't on too much. Facebook has been great to keep up communication and share my experience (much like this blog has). The games can be addicting (NHL superstars, Millionaire, 5th Grader) and that keeps me busy as well.

-How amazing my doctors and nurses are. When I arrived, they have made sure I was feeling good, healthy, getting better every step of the way. They explained what was going on and kept me informed on my counts and medications. Awesome! From St. Lukes to Froedtert, my respect and love for my caregivers is never ending...they have literally kept me alive.

-Braun??? Steroids??? Testosterone??? Disease??? What a weird story. I hope it works out for Brauny and the Brew Crew.

-All the people who step up to help my family. The outpouring and fundraisers from the beginning. We sent out a note we were looking for housing and were flooded with options, thoughts, and ideas! You all are amazing and generous people.

-I miss school. Yup, I said it, I miss school. All my 6th grade teachers can wake up after passing out now. Seriously, I think a few of my 6th grade teachers just hurt themselves.

-How could the Packers lose to the Chiefs. I mean really, long run, it doesn't mater for playoffs sake, and better they lose now than in the playoffs, but come on! It would have been pretty cool....but GO Playoffs and more than that GO Superbowl!

-I miss my dog. However, he is in great hands and loving his time with his new dogfriend Gypsy.

-A nurse said to me, won't it be nice to get your life back, essentially now, you can consider yourself cancer free. Wow! What a feeling to hear that after everything.

-Hospital food...enough said

I know there is much much more, but we'll save some for another day. (By we'll, I mean me and the mouse in my pocket..right Bill?)

Happy Holidays and in the great and fitting words (for our family at least) of my wonderful wife Molly..........

F U 2011....Bring on 2012!!!
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment